(Well I started this yesterday night on the way home but was too tired to complete it, but I guess I should just carry on while the feelings are still raw )
So as of today, I am an official dhs graduate, the proud owner of a pretty gold badge. It was a day filled with feelings and reminiscing all the memories accumulated over the past six years. The past week, I kept thinking about how I genuinely didn't know how to feel about graduating. It's a bittersweet mix of relief, nostalgia, sadness, apprehension, the list goes on. They say that your teenage years transform you, shape the person you become. I'm glad I got to spend the bulk of these formative years here then, in this warm, familiar, nurturing, albeit sheltered environment. I'm thankful for all the friends, close or not, past and present, and all the teachers for all the memories, the friendships, as mushy and cliche as this all sounds.
I'm not all that sociable a person (understatement alert), so I'm immensely thankful that I was placed in communities, where I had the time and opportunity to get to know and appreciate the people around me.
1/2L '0809 - the crazy class I never thought I'd fit into, just because everyone seemed to be an all-rounder (they still do), the sense of humour was just strange as heck, and well, on the first day of school, it was a room entirely filled with strangers. But we've come a long way, it's amazing how even after 6 years we still have things planned and things to talk about :)
3/4J '1011 - okay I honestly don't feel much about this class. But it was a pleasant place to spend two years of my life, even though I wasn't especially close to anyone, I know everyone was just really nice, like excessively so, and I guess I wish I had made more effort keeping the friendships I made there. (meh I literally feel nothing okay next)
GUIDES - Wow so many feelings over here. I was looking through posts from 2009 and I completely forgot how passionate I was about guiding back then. Almost all my posts detailed how I spent the day with guides doing guides things, how I loved the people I was with etcetc. I'll never not be eternally thankful for being placed into P7 Oriole. Most of my fondest memories in guiding come from being with my patrolmates, doing crazy things. Even today, I'm glad our friendship is still growing strong. They (no seriously who is this hypothetical they) say that friends who you can truly be yourself around are one in a million - I know I'm entirely fortunate to have met these people -heartshape emoji- And to the other people in the 43rd batch, I love how all the weirdass experiences in guides have really bonded us in such a unique way, and yesterday when we were taking photos, how the ties never really changed. P10 Swallow was another place I never thought I'd appreciate, just because we got 大风吹ed and I had to leave my incredibly close knit P7 nest and settle somewhere else where everyone was quiet and awkward, but no, I was proven wrong again. Over time, I grew to love the people there - seniors, juniors and of course my 2 batch mates. Being a PL was what I dreamed of for literally the longest time, I remember being so worried that one dumb move, like not doing a proper pumping, would devastate my chances. Then I got the role, by God's grace, and I guess I really had to grow into it in terms of learning to look out for my juniors, (gosh this was the hardest) coming out of my shell to talk to them etcetc. Whoa this is way longer than I expected. Point is, Guides is something I'll never regret, not that I was given a choice in the matter. Putting my heart into Guides, then. Great decision.
Guitar - I really took a leap of faith in joining guitar, and it was entirely a miracle that I got accepted, firstly into guitar, and then into the SYF ensemble. I think I did a reminisce-y post awhile back so I'm not going to go too deep, but Guitar was certainly another CCA I'm happy I joined.
And finally,
5/6C34 '1314 - I couldn't have asked for a better class to spend my final two years in DHS with, really. Yesterday, at dinner, we were going through Y5 whatsapps and stuff, showing Mr Ngiam all the strange jokes and experiences we lived through. I honestly never realised how much fun I had in this class, despite rolling my eyes once too many at times. And the zhabors - it's amazing how we all really get along and always have a great laugh about everything. We always joke about how we're the slacker class that never did anything during free periods in the past, but it was during those times that I really grew to appreciate everyone so much. And my goodness, we were really blessed with the best teachers (one teacher aside, that is). We got all the teachers that other classes thought were fierce and scary (which was true), but they showed themselves to be so committed and knowledgeable and yeah ///appreciation///
-
So, I started reading my blog posts from way back in year one, for old times' sake. I remember deciding to start blogging way back in p5 so that I could look back and relive everything in the future. I guess me 7 years ago, for all my whineyness and immaturity did have some insight. I CRINGED SO HARD O M G. The typing, the words are all so juvenile and ridiculous, but it's amazing how much I've changed in the past 6 years.
http://fireworksflying.blogspot.sg/2009/01/dhs-is-hugeeee-like-major-huge-okay.html
This was what I blogged on the first day of school. It's funny how I've come full circle, but well, here I am. Thank you Dunman, for having moulded me from that 12 year old preteen mess to the (hahahahah) young woman I am today. I've been through my ups and downs over the past 6 years, and it's been a long, winding road, yet somehow the journey flew by.
Grades-wise, for all the times I've prayed for God to help me improve and to use me as a living testimony of His power, looking back, even though I may not have straight As, I've come a really, really long way from year 1, p5 even. I wasn't supposed to get into DHS, based on my grades leading up to PSLE, but by God's grace, I did. Till today, I don't understand why I got placed in 2L, amongst the insanely gifted, but I was, and some way, somehow, that really pushed me to work harder. Somehow, I went from almost failing math in P2 to getting Bs to taking H3 Math. I'm not boasting or anything (heck, no one should even be reading this why are u stalking me), but that was one miracle I never even noticed.
And here I am, as I run the final stretch, to borrow the overused metaphor.
God, if it is Your will, please help me win this battle, please help me overcome these seemingly insurmountable odds.
No comments:
Post a Comment