So. I've been working at GIANT as a cashier. Not the kind of glamorous holiday job I was envisioning myself taking up, but hey, it's working out pretty well so far. It all started with an entirely impromptu job search with Yifei after prom last Tuesday, which ended up with us heading down to Tanjong Pagar with bags from prom in tow to sign the contract and bam, employment.
It's actually pretty fun, and I have the option of working until early Jan before my internship (the main reason I accepted the job tbh). The work is fun, and people are nice and everything, which makes wonder if the corporate route (office in CBD, bitchy office politics, late nights, drinks after work, etc etc) that I've set my mind on for as long as I can remember is overrated. Guess I'll know after the internship.
Anyway. I think what I like most about the job is the fact that I get to observe people. Yes, I mutter to myself /ugh humans/ a lot on a daily basis, but I do enjoy observing (as opposed to interacting). From behind the counter, I get to imagine (probably highly inaccurate) background stories about random customers. I daydream. A lot. See how people of different age groups behave. For instance - people over 40 tend to be a lot friendlier, outspoken. They will strike up conversation, ask questions about promotions (yes auntie tendencies strong). On the flipside, they are also the ones who demand 10 cent refunds and request excessive double bagging. The 20/30 somethings usually just stare into blank space or use their phones, and they don't check their receipts (not that I'm complaining). Families tend to pay by NETS. Some kids are actually kind of cute. Some are annoying as heck. Old people like fruits. Some people treat service staff like scum. Etc etc etc. It's fun, mostly.
Still, I am so over 2014. My calendar is packed from now until we return from Europe in late Feb- work -> internship -> holiday with like 1-2 days inbetween. My post-As life was supposed to be so much more than this though. So much for pilates, baking, learning French, potating reading books and watching shows hahahaha I totally should have seen this coming
No comments:
Post a Comment